- Plaintext email only
- NSBNews.net/VolusiaNews.net Column Name
People, Places & Things
- Daytona Beach, Florida
- Short Bio
Henry Frederick is publisher of Headline Surfer®, the award-winning 24/7 internet news outlet covering the Daytona Beach-Sanford-Orlando metro area via HeadlineSurfer.com since 2008. A longtime cops & courts reporter focused on breaking news & investigative reporting, Frederick is among the Sunshine State's most prolific daily news reporters, having amassed close to a hundred award-winning byline stories nearly evenly split in print and digital platforms. Frederick earned his Master of Arts in New Media Journalism with academic honors from Full Sail University in Winter Park in February 2019. He was a metro reporter with the Daytona Beach News-Journal for nearly a decade and then served as a city editor for the Taunton Daily Gazette in Taunton, Mass, while maintaining a residence in Central Florida. Prior to moving to Florida, Frederick was a metro reporter for the Rockland Journal-News in West Nyack, NY, for seven years. Headline Surfer was named the Sunshine State's top internet news site by the Florida Press Club in 2018.
Here are Frederick's journalism awards:
Taunton (Mass.)Daily Gazette/City Editor/nearly 2 years
* 5-day series with entire newsroom staff, "Safety in our schools."
The series won first place in enterprise reporting/public service in the 2006 New England Press Association contest.
* 3-day investigative series "Pipeline Hell" with reporter on a shady developer.
The reporter won first place in "environmental reporting" in the 2005 New England Press Association contest.
* The reporter and Frederick shared a third place award in "investigative journalism" in the 2005 Suburban Newspapers of America contest for small dailies for the series "Pipeline Hell."
Daytona Beach News-Journal/Staff Writer/8 years
* Society of Professional Journalists, Florida Chapter, 2004, 2nd place/large newspapers, Investigative Reporting, "Silent Cries" (3-day series on child homicides).
* Florida Society of Newspaper Editors, 2004, honorable mention, Investigative Division "Silent Cries."
• Society of Professional Journalists, Florida Chapter, 2004, breaking news, honorable mention/large newspapers, "Community mourns death of longtime area educator."
* Society of Professional Journalists, Florida Chapter, 2003, 1st place/large newspapers, "Lawsuit monopoly justifies splitting up NASCAR."
* Society of Professional Journalists, Florida Chapter, 2003, 2nd place/large newspapers, breaking news "The execution of Aileen Wuornos."
* Florida Press Club, 2003, 2nd place, excellence in general news writing, "Property takeover may change boardwalk," "Unusual cases re-ignite legal arguments on Miranda rights," and "Word on the street: Few police."
* Florida Society of Newspaper Editors, 2003, 3rd place, sports, "Lawsuit: monopoly justifies splitting up NASCAR."
* Society of Professional Journalists, Florida Chapter, 2002, 3rd place/large newspapers, breaking news, "Brothers on trial."
* Florida Press Club, 2002, 3rd place, excellence in general news writing, "Spring Break: Collision Course," "Lawsuit: Monopoly justifies splitting up NASCAR," and "Behavior nets police chief two-week unpaid suspension."
* Society of Professional Journalists, Florida Chapter, 1998, 2nd place/large newspapers, breaking news "Little boy: He shot and killed my friend."
* Society of Professional Journalists, Florida Chapter, 1998, honorable mention/large newspapers, James K. Batten Award for public service project: "Spring Hill."
The (Nyack, N.Y.) Journal News/Staff Writer/8 years
* New York State Associated Press, 1992, Spot News (honorable mention), "Two charged in gas station slaying."
* Poynter Institute, St. Petersburg, Fla. , 2001, two-week national seminar on "newspaper writing and editing."
* National Press Foundation, Washington D.C., 2001, week-long workshop on "America's Legal System."
Master of Arts, New Media Journalism, w2019, Full Sail University, Winter Garden, Florida, 3.5 GPA.
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science/Public Administration, with concentration in Writing, 1984, Central Connecticut State University, New
1984 President's Citation for "Academic Excellence and Outstanding Service to the College and Community" as editor-in-chief of college newspaper, The Central Recorder. Also published independent college newspaper, Campus Review.
- View recent blog entries
- Member for
- 11 years 8 months