NEW SMYRNA BEACH -- Children can beat summer boredom at the New Smyrna Beach Regional Library, which is planning a full slate of free programs in June and July. First up, children in grades 1 through 5 can enter to win prizes by reading books. Reading logs will be available at the children’s desk beginning June 11.
Entertainment programs for children in grades 1 through 5 include:
• What’s all that jazz about? 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 11. Jazz entertainer Shenole Latimer will tell stories and play the saxophone to introduce children to jazz and improvisation.
• Jiggleman: 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 18. Jiggleman will keep the kids laughing with his bouncing, juggling and jiggling antics.
• Gators: 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 25. See and learn about some cool creatures, including live alligators, during this visit from Gatorland.
• Independence Day carnival: 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 2. Jump-start your Fourth of July with this celebration, which will include games and face-painting.
• Crazy balloon show: 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 9. Karen Clymer will make some wild balloon creations, which the kids can take home.
• Magic show: 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 16. Jeff Alan has some amazing tricks up his sleeve. After the show, children can check out a magic book and learn a trick or two.
• Tampa Taiko Drums: 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 23: The Japanese drumming ensemble will present a high-energy, fun-filled program.
Additional summer programs include:
• Chess Club: 3:30 to 5 p.m. Mondays, June 17 through July 22. This club is open to students of all levels in grades 1 through 12. Experienced players will be available to teach beginners and challenge advanced players.
• LEGO Club: 3 to 4 p.m. Wednesdays, June 19 through 24. Children in grades 1 through 5 can have some brick-building fun. The library will provide the LEGOs.
• Art Aces: 3 to 4 p.m. Wednesdays, June 19 through July 24. Kids can free their imaginations and keep their fingers busy with free arts-and-crafts projects. Florida themes will be featured to celebrate Viva Florida 500.
• Drop in Jamz: 2 to 3 p.m. Thursdays, June 20 and 27. Kids ages 9 to 18 can drop in for Wii games, Guitar Hero and karaoke.
• Hammer Time with Home Depot: 1 to 2 p.m. Mondays, July 8 and 22. Tool-minded children ages 4 to 10 can build and paint. Complete project materials will be provided. Each program is limited to the first 30 builders. Teens can bring their friends and laugh out loud with these cult classics at 1 p.m.
• June 17: Hellboy
• June 24: Dark Shadows
• July 15: Beetlejuice.
Editor's Note: The New Smyrna Beach Regional Library is open 1 to 5 p.m. on Sunday, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday; and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday. For more information on the children' summer programs, please call 386-424-2901 or you can go online to www.volusialibrary.org.