Highlights of this day in history: Julius and Ethel Rosenberg convicted of Cold War espionage; Lt. William Calley, Jr. convicted in the Vietnam War's My Lai massacre; U.S. troops leave South Vietnam; Attorney Johnnie Cochran dies. (March 29)
March 29 is the 88th day of the year (89th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 277 days remaining until the end of the year. This date is slightly more likely to fall on a Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday (58 in 400 years each) than on Friday or Saturday (57), and slightly less likely to occur on a Monday or Wednesday (56).
- 1918 – Pearl Bailey, American actress and singer (d. 1990)
- 1918 – Sam Walton, American businessman, founded Walmart and Sam's Club (d. 1992)
- 1927 – John McLaughlin, American journalist and producer (d. 2016)
- 1931 – Aleksei Gubarev, Russian general, pilot, and astronaut (d. 2015)
- 1944 – Terry Jacks, Canadian singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
- 1962 – Billy Beane, American baseball player and general manager.
YouTube download / AP video/ Henry Frederick, Headline Surfer