DAYTONA BEACH -- A 47-year-old man was found dead early this morning in his dwelling unit in the Ridgecrest Park Apartments, officials with the Daytona Beach Fire Department said.
Firefighters responded to 9-1-1 calls at 1:30 in the apartment complex in the 1400 block o South Nova Road.
After forcing their way into the apartment where the flames originated, firefighters found a 47-year-old man lying face door behind the door and unconscious and not breathing, apparently overcome by heavy smoke and unable to get out in time.
Unable to revive him during transport to Halifax Health Medical Center, the man was pronounced dead a short time later in the emergency room. The victim's name was not released while authorities try to make contact with his closest relatives.
A small cat also was found inside the man's apartment after the flames were put out.
The fire apparently originated in the bedroom and is considered accidental, but firefighters did not say if it was caused by smoking or by faulty wiring. The state fire marshal's office is investigating.