Headline Surfer graphic / Diane Elizabeth was killed Oct. 6, 2009, when she tried to cross traffic-heavy South Ridgewood Avenue in her wheelchair without using a crosswalk, which she had previously been advised by South Daytona cops not to do.
SOUTH DAYTONA -- A 69-year-old woman confined to a wheelchair was struck and killed killed four years ago while trying to cross South Ridgewood Avenue outside of a crosswalk.
It wasn't as if Diane Elizabeth Knoop didn't know better to use the crosswalk. South Daytona cops said she had been warned before to use the crosswalk when trying to cross Ridgewood in her wheelchair.
The fatality, which was originally detailed in a story on Oct. 30, 2009, comes in at No. 481 in Headline Surfer's countdown of the Top 500 stories as part of the 24/7 internet newspaper's 5th anniversary.
Knoop was thrown 25 feet in a horrific accident scene seen by countless bystanders and pronounced dead shortly after transport to Halifax Medical Center in the 1:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 6, accident, South Daytona police said.
The victim was leaving Rossi's Diner at 1:30 p.m. when she attempted to cross over in the 2200 block of South Ridgewood, before she was struck by motorist Mary Louise Peless, 58, of Daytona Beach. Police said the motorist was not at fault because she was not able to stop in time.
Award-winning Headline Surfer Editor/Publisher Henry Frederick is counting down his ranking of the Top 500 Stories throughout Volusia County, as part of the fifth anniversary celebration of the 24/7 Internet newspaper launched April 7, 2008.
Recap Top 500 Stories:
481. Woman in wheelchair struck and killed in South Daytona in 2009 while trying to cross US 1
Posted Sat, 2013-11-09 16:01
482. Chip Ganassi's 01 wins 2011 Rolex 24 at Daytona International Speedway
Posted Fri, 2013-11-08 11:02
483. Bizarre 2009 tragedy: Woman nude from waist down struck & killed on road in Daytona after release from jail
Posted Tue, 2013-10-15 06:44
484. Volusia County candidate consultant Jim Oddie meets Romney and Ryan in advance of GOP convention
Posted Thu, 2013-09-19 09:02
485. Gene Emter wins Edgewater city council seat in special election
Posted Fri, 2013-09-06 16:15
486. Holly Hill woman calls in bomb threat from work resulting in evacuation; tells cops she 'needed a break'
Posted Thu, 2013-08-29 10:17
487. Former South Daytona Mayor Joe Piggotte dies at 81
Posted Fri, 2013-08-23 18:41
488. Ponce Inlet Councilman Joe Perrone holds onto seat with 1-vote plurality
Posted Tue, 2013-08-20 07:03
489. Edgewater's Tia McDonald featured in book
Posted Thu, 2013-08-15 01:16
490. Flocks of sick or deceased birds dot shoreline
Posted Sat, 2013-08-10 02:21
491. Softy Jason McGuirk gets NSB Commission seat nobody else wants
Posted Sat, 2013-08-03 03:24
492. Christmas comes early in 2010 for New Smyrna Beach with $402,500 fire rescue vehicle, complete with plaque
Posted Thu, 2013-07-18 05:13
493. Convenience store clerk in Ormond Beach draws own knife to scare off knife-wielding robber
Posted Wed, 2013-07-17 02:41
494. Former Oak Hill Mayor Donna Jane Bennett dies in 2009, a decade after exiting the political stage
Posted Thu, 2013-07-04 06:43
495. Biketoberfest 2011 in New Smyrna Beach a bust
Posted Mon, 2013-06-17 03:51
496. Topless woman holds up DeLand traffic
Posted Mon, 2013-06-17 00:18
497. Oak Hill proud of its Super Bowl connection in winter resident Larry Csonka
Posted Wed, 2013-06-05 04:01
498. Stetson University mourns passing of retired President H. Douglas Lee in 2009
Posted Wed, 2013-05-29 07:12
499. Kilo of pot washes ashore on New Smyrna Beach on July 4th weekend
Posted Fri, 2013-05-10 10:29
500. Celebrating 5 years of covering greater Daytona Beach & New Smyrna Beach with 24/7 internet newspaper
Posted Sun, 2013-04-28 04:16
Headline Surfer 5th Anniversary Advertising---------------------