DELTONA, Fla. -- Get back to nature during free outdoor hikes and indoor programs at Lyonia Environmental Center (LEC), 2150 Eustace Ave., Deltona.
Programs will begin in the center’s classroom. Reservations are requested; call 386-789-7207, ext. 21028.
March’s programs include:
• Tails and tales: 2 to 2:30 p.m. Thursday, March 2. Learn fun facts about reptiles and meet the center’s reptilian ambassadors.
• St. Paddy’s Day wreath workshop: 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, March 5. Use re-purposed fabric to create flowers and shamrocks for a St. Patrick’s Day wreath. Participants wearing green will be entered into a prize drawing. Advance registration is required.
• “Animal Homes”: 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 11. Episode one of this three-part film series focuses on bird nests, remarkable works of art made from carefully selected materials. Popcorn will be provided. Snacks can be purchased in the gift shop.
• Who’s in your backyard? 2 to 3 p.m. Saturday, March 18. During this classroom presentation, Florida Master Naturalist Roger Fulton will discuss common backyard wildlife invaders and how to control them. He’ll highlight the worst of the invaders, including invasive plants.
• Popcorn and a movie: 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, March 26. Watch “The Incredible Journey of the Butterflies” and follow the 2,000-mile migration of monarchs to a sanctuary in Mexico. After the film, participants can create a monarch butterfly craft and will receive native milkweed seeds to plant at home to help this beautiful species survive. Popcorn will be provided. Snacks can be purchased in the gift shop.
• Scrub strolls: 9 to 10 a.m. every Monday and Friday. Environmental specialists lead these exploratory hikes through Lyonia Preserve.
If you will be walking through Lyonia Preserve, wear closed-toe shoes, bring water, and be prepared to hike on sugar-sand trails.
Lyonia Environmental Center offers insights into Volusia County’s fragile ecosystems through hands-on displays and educational programs. It’s part of the Deltona Regional Library complex at 2150 Eustace Ave., Deltona. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission is free.
Learn what’s happening at the LEC at www.lyoniapreserve.com.