- 1914 – Babe Ruth makes his debut in Major League Baseball.
- 1921 – Former President of the United States William Howard Taft is sworn in as 10th Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, becoming the only person ever to hold both offices.
- 1960 – To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is first published, in the United States.
- 1977 – Martin Luther King, Jr. is posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
- 1979 – America's first space station, Skylab, is destroyed as it re-enters the Earth's atmosphere over the Indian Ocean.
- 1995 – Srebrenica massacre begins; lasts until 22 July.
- 2006 – Mumbai train bombings: Two hundred nine people are killed in a series of bomb attacks in Mumbai, India.
- 2010 – July 2010 Kampala attacks: At least 74 people are killed in twin suicide bombings at two locations in Kampala, Uganda
- 2011 – Evangelos Florakis Naval Base explosion: Ninety-eight containers of explosives self-detonate killing 13 people in Zygi, Cyprus.
- 1767 – John Quincy Adams, American lawyer and politician, 6th President of the United States (d. 1848)
- 1895 – Dorothy Wilde, English author and poet (d. 1941)
- 1899 – E. B. White, American essayist and journalist (d. 1985)
- 1916 – Alexander Prokhorov, Australian-Russian physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2002)
- 1920 – Yul Brynner, Russian actor and dancer (d. 1985)
- 1924 – Brett Somers, Canadian-American actress and singer (d. 2007)
- 1931 – Tab Hunter, American actor and singer
- 1950 – Bonnie Pointer, American singer
- 1953 – Leon Spinks, American boxer
- 1956 – Sela Ward, American actress
- 1959 – Suzanne Vega, American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer
- 1963 – Al MacInnis, Canadian ice hockey player and coach
- 1966 – Rod Strickland, American basketball player and coach
- 1975 – Lil' Kim, American rapper and producer
- 1980 – Tyson Kidd, Canadian wrestler
- 1996 – Alessia Cara, Canadian singer-songwriter
- 1937 – George Gershwin, American pianist, songwriter, and composer (b. 1898)
- 1989 – Laurence Olivier, English actor, director, and producer (b. 1907)
- 2007 – Lady Bird Johnson, American beautification activist; 43rd First Lady of the United States (b. 1912)
- 2011 – Rob Grill, American singer-songwriter and bass player (b. 1943)
- 2014 – Tommy Ramone, Hungarian-American drummer and producer (b. 1949)
Holidays and observances:
- Christian Feast Day:
- China National Maritime Day (China)
- Day of the Bandoneón (Argentina)
- Day of the Flemish Community (Flemish Community of Belgium)
- Eleventh Night (Northern Ireland)
Source: Wikipedia for July 11
-- Henry Frederick, Headline Surfer