DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Never in his worst nightmare did Sanford Mayor Jeff Triplett ever dream he'd make national headlines of his own 3 1/2 years after a jury in Seminole County acquitted George Zimmerman of second-degree murder in the 2012 shooting death of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
Night & Day: Sheriff Mike Chitwood's sorry-ass minstrel act fading while Jason Umberger, DeLand PD's top cop new beacon of strength & respect
DELAND, FLA. -- 685 days have passed since Sheriff Mike Chitwood, the Scumbag Eradicator, was sworn into office. His first deliberate action: Ban Central Florida's most prolific reporter from his press conferences, cut off the email media alerts, deny the press cards -- do everything he can to minimize the threat that he knows can upstage his mediocrity and overt cartoonish mannerisms.
1. Ashley Moody, R, Attorney General winner, 130,385
2. Rick Scott, R, US Senate winner, 125,592
3. Jimmy Patronis, R, CFO winner, 125,852
4. Ron DeSantis, R, Governor winner 124,692
5. Matt Caldwell, R, Comm. of Agriculture winner, 122,589
6. Michael Waltz, R, CD6 winner, 122,467
7. Nancy Soderberg, D, CD6 loser, 103,626
8. Bill Nelson, D, US Senate loser, 102,624
9. Nicole "Nikki" Fried, D, Comm. of Agriculture loser, 100,702
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- It's Election Day here in Central Florida and throughout the nation. Here is a summary of the Headline Surfer endorsements, news & notes, community columns, and standalone pics & videos. Please click on hyperlinked headlines to see more of individual items.
Fla gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum wows Dems in Deltona: Touts Nancy Soderberg for Congress, Heidi Herzberg for mayor & State Rep Patrick Henry of Daytona for re-election
DELTONA, Fla. -- Florida gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum wowed Democratic supporters at a campaign stop in Volusia County's largest city Friday night with the partisan Deltona crowd chanting his signature phrase, "Bring It Home!"